Everyone knows that the sun can cause skin cancer, but did you realize that it causes aging too? One study found that UV exposure was responsible for about 80% of facial aging changes. Treating and preventing sun damage is one of the most effective ways to slow aging and improve appearance. Combine good sun habits with a few cosmetic procedures at Reveal Beauty, and you’ll always look your best.
It is impossible to avoid sun exposure entirely, but with a few simple changes, you can significantly reduce its impact on your skin. For damage that has already occurred, come see Dr. Clinton. We offer innovative and effective treatments for erasing photoaging.
What Are the Signs of Sun Damage?
Each time your skin is exposed to the sun, damage occurs. This damage is cumulative and builds up over time. Your genetics, skin tone and even the area where you live will impact how quickly sun damage progresses. Concentrated UV exposure, like in a tanning bed, can rapidly accelerate premature aging.
Common signs of sun damage include:
- Fine lines, wrinkles, and facial creases
- Age spots and brown spots
- Loose, sagging skin
- Spider veins
- Uneven or blotchy pigmentation
Pre-cancerous skin growths called actinic keratoses (AK) and skin cancers can also develop as a result of too much UV exposure.
Reversing Sun Damage in Birmingham, AL
Treating sun damage often requires a combination of treatments. Dr. Clinton will create a personalized treatment plan for you during your consultation. Our focus is on effectively and safely treating sun damage.
- Laser Resurfacing- Laser treatments for photoaging target and remove damaged skin cells using high powered laser energy. We use both laser and light treatments including a fractional CO2 laser and a Q-switched YAG Pixel laser. Some treatments require no downtime; others offer results in a single treatment.
- Chemical Peels- Using an acidic solution, a chemical peel exfoliates and removes the outer layers of skin. These can be very effective for initial treatment of sun damage or used to maintain results after other treatments. Chemical peels are available in many strengths and formulations and are effective for most skin types and colors.
- Facials- Our anti-aging facial is a popular choice for patients with sun damage. This 60-minute treatment is customized and includes vitamins C and E, along with growth factors and peptides, encouraging cell turnover and refreshing the skin.
- Botox/Fillers- Botox and fillers don’t eliminate sun damage, but they can dramatically fade its effects. Botox is used to smooth lines around the eyes and brows while dermal fillers restore volume and youthful fullness to the face.
- Infini- Our Infini treatment combines microneedling with radio-frequency energy to tighten the skin without surgery. Dr. Clinton often recommends this treatment to patients with sagging skin that want to avoid facelift
- Medical Grade Skin Care- Our in-office treatments will transform your skin and dramatically reduce visible sun damage, but you’ll need to do your part. We find that the best results are achieved when patients use medical grade skin care products at home. Dr. Clinton will help you select products that minimize sun damage and that protect the skin from future aging.
Come in for a consultation to determine which treatments will be most effective for your skin.
Preventing Sun Damage
Being careful with sun exposure after treatment will help to reduce future damage and extend the results of your procedures.
- Reduce Sun Exposure- Limiting sun exposure can reduce the amount of UV damage to your skin. Wear a hat, stick to the shade, and try to schedule outdoor activities during off-peak UV times, usually early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Sunscreen helps to protect the skin during those times when you will be outdoors.
- Use Sunscreen Daily- Dr. Clinton recommends using SPF 15+ on a daily basis. Apply every morning to protect your skin during the walk to the car, etc. Reapply when you experience significant sun exposure or sweat/get wet.
- Maintenance Treatments- We’ll create a maintenance schedule so you’ll always know what treatments you need and when you need them.
Be sun smart and protect your skin from unnecessary damage with Reveal Beauty. Schedule your consultation with us by calling 205-408-9787.